Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Wages Of Sun

Tis the season for sending the kids off to camp. Going to camp is so much different now than it was when my parents sent me off to camp for a week or two, when I was tween the ages of nine and twelve.

A lot of camps these days ban sunscreen. Because sunscreen is classified as a regulated over the counter drug. Drug free camps have lots of severely sunburned, unhappy campers.

Well, just have your kid wear a hat to protect him.her from the rays of the sun. Well hold on just a minute there. Some camps are banning caps. Because they might be associated with gang affiliation.

Another angle to this sunscreen ban story. Some camp officials are worried that there could be some legal problems stemming from adults applying sunscreen to the bodies of children. Inappropriate touching.

You just can't make it up. I'd kind of like to be a kid again. Then again...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"A lot of camps"...? How many? Which ones? Why?
You are a reporter. Details are needed.
Otherwise, it is like a Fox News "scoop" that just goes on and on and on, revving up people's ire...
jc

Gene said...

I am very glad to be the age I am.

Gene

Terrence said...

You're a good editor, jc. I'll work on fleshing that out.

collins said...

and did your dutiful parents pack sunblock when you went away to camp, lo those many years ago? mine never did.

Terrence said...

I spent 2 weeks at Camp Anderson in Shutesbury. I was nine. Spent a week at Camp Chesterfield 2 years in a row. At Camp Anderson it wasn't the sun we worried about; it was the leeches in the swimming hole. The counselors poured salt on them to peel them off us. And no, no sunscreen was packed. But if it had been, it would not have been banned. Did I ever tell you the story about the camp counselor with the pet donkey? This one has to do with Boy Scout Camp. Another kind of leech, a human one, who attached himself to a friend of mine under a lean-to.

collins said...

stories of camp counselors with pet donkeys are among my favorites. I hope you will tell me over a drink when next I see you.

Terrence said...

Mr. Collins

I'll tell you the whole story when I see you. But I will say this: the guy was arrested a few years after the lean-to incident. For a violation of the Francis Act - transporting a mule over a county line with intent to do harm. The mule, when questioned by police is reported to have said, " I'm not talking."