Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Scoutrageous.

" The Boy Scouts of America has reaffirmed its longtime policy of barring openly gay boys from membership and gay or lesbian adults from serving as leaders."

                    From New York Times story today


I think this policy is outrageous. Gay boys should be allowed to join the Boy Scouts, if that is their wish. Gay men and women should be allowed to play leadership roles.

Whoever is playing a role in banning these people should be given a merit badge for intolerance.

I was a Boy Scout. When I was 11 and 12 years old, I went off to Boy Scout camp in western Massachusetts. One night another boy in my cabin invited me into bed with him. I said I don't think so.

The next summer at the camp,  a friend of mine reported  a counselor had touched him as he was going to sleep in a lean-to.

The above is what lawyers call anecdotal evidence. Mine are stories told around the campfire. The scout and the counselor I mention are like ghosts and monsters lurking in the dark. And they are exceptions to the rule.

I'm wondering: Are these kinds of stories driving the policy? Are the exceptions to the rule ruling?

And oh by the way. When I was a teenager, dads often used the book shown here to explain " The birds and the bees, the facts of life," to us boys. We baby boomer lads were warned not to, you know...

Gives different meaning to " hand " book, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems there is a growing pushback on this ruling.
From among the ranks of active scouting families, the policy is not being universally well received. So, maybe even the Boy Scouts will evolve into a more enlightened and open organization.
jc